Monday, December 1, 2014

Extra Credit assignment: Mikeyy Evans


The comic is an anniversary gift for my parents, and represents in very short form the battle my mom had with breast cancer, and her ultimately becoming cancer free. I made a rough outline for the comic, which was originally going to be a bit longer, and then had my roommate in DAAP illustrate it. He emailed the files to me, I threw them into photoshop, did coloring, and pieced them all together. I did make two prints for my mom and dad, but also decided to put it up on my website for easier access. It's a short comic, and it's pretty straightforward I feel as far as narrative structure goes. I think and hope the gutter does a lot of work, specifically in transitions, and enhancing a lot of the movement that I really couldn't show in what ended up being four pages. I wanted to utilize the full splash page for the attack by cancer to emphasize it's heaviness. Even though this is a pretty light-hearted comic, it does deal with heavy subject matter, and a pretty heavy time in our life. But I wanted to take it from a different perspective, because looking back, it was good, fighting through it together as a family, and for my mum and dad too as a couple, growing us all stronger together. The form is a little more typical of superhero style comics, and a little distant from most of our other comics. But I thought it fit with the ideas that some of the comics have of having trouble dealing with issues, and not quite creating metaphors for what actually happened, but maybe a "simile" if you can make a visual simile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment